Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Introduction

Hi everyone!  I’m Kate Hendrix (Katharine on the chat and discussion board, but no one actually calls me that). Before moving to Kentucky, I lived at the South Jersey shore and taught English, Theatre, and TV Broadcasting at Middle Township High School in Cape May County.  Oh, and it’s not THAT Jersey Shore…we actually know how to speak in South Jersey!  My husband is from Kentucky, so we moved here to our home in Rockcastle County a few years ago and got a Great Pyrenees puppy (Porter).  I’ve been teaching English, Theatre, and Humanities and directing the Fall Play and One Act Competition Team at Madison Central High School in Richmond, KY for 4 years.  In my 8 years of teaching, I’ve never actually taught the exact same load of classes.  This year, I had the pleasure of teaching Pre-AP English II in addition to my more familiar Intro to Theatre classes, and I hope I get to stick with it!  Never before have I encountered so many intelligent, motivated, and enjoyable students in one school year. 
As far as reading is concerned, I tend to choose to read “fluffy” books when I have the opportunity to select something to read for enjoyment.  As an English teacher, much of my time is spent previewing books for my classes.  My favorites are detective and/or legal dramas and historical fiction, but I’ve recently discovered The Hunger Games trilogy, departing completely from my usual preferences.
Outside of teaching and reading, I love cooking, travelling, participating in local theatre when I have a chance, and cheering for my Philadelphia Eagles and Phillies.  One of the conditions of moving away from the local Philadelphia TV market was that we would get NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV so I could watch my Eagles every Sunday!
I’m very much looking forward to discovering young adult literature to include in my high school curriculum, but I’d also like to find some great books for my students to read for fun.  If they don’t already enjoy reading, I’m hoping to find something that could reignite that spark!     

1 comment:

  1. Kate, I had to borrow this one, it's priceless! Did you actually see that Zombie sign on the interstate? (I did!)

    ReplyDelete